Those of you that watched the most recent episode of “Speed with Guy Martin” will have seen Guy attempting a land speed record in a Ford Transit van at the Nevada Open Road Challenge. The Transit he was using was his old runabout, and as you can see, it was far removed from your standard Transit workhorse.
Huge upgrades were implemented, ranging from a brand new and modified Ford V6 engine, capable of producing nearly 700bhp. With further modification, this boosted the top speed from 102mph to 160mph, which it then had to hold for over half an hour. Naturally, this led to huge increases in engine temperature, and it became apparent that they were going to need a little help from the lubricant specialists at Red Line Oils.
The fact that the engine was working at the top of its rev range for over half an hour, as well as being used in the Nevada desert where the air temperature can exceed 30 degrees C, the Guy Martin team were going to need some top quality oils from Red Line. Not only the engine oil, but the brake fluid and gearbox oil were going to be under a huge amount of pressure to perform to the highest possible standard. Have a look below for the set up that was used – simply click on the product for prices and specifications. Opies stock the lot!
- Engine Oil – Red Line High Performance Synthetic Motor Oil 5w-30: Fully synthetic with Ester content, making it perfect for race and competition use. Designed to provide the highest protection, cleanliness and superior drain intervals with the lowest friction for your petrol, diesel, motorcycle or marine engine, avoiding unnecessary additives that hinder lubricity.
- Gearbox Oil – Red Line Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant MTL 75w-80 GL4: Designed to provide excellent protection and improved shiftability for manual transmissions and transaxles. MTL has cured the problem of hard shifting in numerous transmissions which have notoriously difficult shifting. Provides excellent protection of gears and synchronisers and its balanced slipperiness provides a perfect coefficient of friction, allowing easier shifting.
- Differential Oil – Red Line Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil 75w-90: The Super Lightweight Shockproof Oil is a unique lubricant with solid microscopic particles offering low drag/high protection, this means it has a relatively low viscosity but it still cushions gear teeth under extreme pressure.
- Brake Fluid – Red Line RL -600 Dot 4 fully synthetic brake fluid: Red Line now offers its own high performance brake fluid perfect for street or track use. RL-600 High Performance Brake Fluid is engineered to maintain viscosity, lubricity, and compressibility at extreme temperatures to help safeguard against brake fading and vapor lock in racing, performance and street applications.
- Coolant – Red Line WaterWetter Special Super coolant additive: This was the perfect product for keeping that 700bhp engine nice and cool, designed from the ground up to improve head heat transfer and has double the amount of cooling abilities to water alone. Reduces or eliminates bubbles or vapor barrier that form on hot metal surfaces to reduce coolant temperatures by up to 20°
- Grease – Red Line CV 2 Grease with Moly: The Guy Martin team needed a top quality general purpose grease that would keep them covered for an array of jobs.
Red Line CV-2 Grease is a high-performance synthetic grease with red moly, designed to withstand the extreme temperatures and pressures which occur in high-performance wheel bearings and CV-joints. The excellent high-temperature stability, extreme- pressure protection and water resistance, enables it to out-perform even the best conventional or synthetic greases. Red Line CV-2 Grease can be used in a wide range of applications at temperatures ranging between -100°F to 500°F and provides good oxidation and corrosion resistance, low evaporation and oil separation, and has a minimum effect on rubber seals.
Don’t forget to use the discount code “OPIEBLOG” to get an additional 10% off your order! The full range is available HERE, including their very popular motorcycle oils. The great thing about the products that Guy used is that they are not exclusive to high end racers. The Red Line range is available for a huge range of cars from drag racers to your Kia that does the school run. If you are looking to prolong the life and unleash the hidden power of your engine then look no further than the Red Line Range, available at Opie Oils.
Should you need any advice on the correct Red Line products for your vehicle or even it’s particular application, please drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org at any point, we’re in the office Monday to Friday 8:30 – 5:30 on 01209 202 944.
Until next time