When the E53 BMW X5 was first launched back in 2000, enthusiasts cried foul. They didn’t want to share their cherished blue roundel with a vehicle that would be relegated doing the school run and shopping excursions. Nevertheless, a new generation of buyers found the first generation BMW X5 to be the ideal blend of driving pleasure and practicality. By 2014, over 1.3 million copies of BMW’s midsize luxury SUV had been sold worldwide.
The third generation F15 BMW X5 was designed to continue this trend with more room, more electronics, and lots more luxury. Power was also upgraded, with the introduction of the heavily revised BMW N63TU 4.4L V8. Thanks to a big pair of turbochargers and lots of other mechanical wizardry, the F15 BMW X5 xDrive50i could launch itself to 60 mph in nearly the same time as the original BMW X5M. This same power plant found its way into the second generation F16 BMW X6 xDrive50i, which was launched for the 2015 model year. Combining the trademark looks of a coupe, with the performance and handling of a sports sedan, BMW’s famous Sports Activity Vehicle turned out to be the perfect rig for conquering the urban jungle. But no matter which version you drive, K&N can give your ultimate driving machine, a performance boost.
The key to your F15 BMW X5 xDrive50i or F16 BMW xDrive50i, is the BMW N63TU 4.4L V8 under the hood. It has two high-tech turbochargers nestled between the V at the top of the motor, and there’s an advanced fuel injection system that can deliver a very precise mist of gas to each cylinder. But not matter how much cutting edge technology they cram into it, the BMW N63TU 4.4L V8 still needs gas and air to make power. To create the perfect fuel/air mix, the High Precision Injection system squirts out fuel up to 2,900 psi, then the two turbo chargers inject an aircharge to create a massive, power creating explosion. That air comes in through a pair of air boxes located at the front of the engine compartment, which are filled with a pair of OEM BMW air filters.
Now, this engine is designed to create power in the most efficient manner possible. For example, those two turbos or situated on top of the motor so the aircharge can reach the cylinders even faster. However, those OE BMW N63TU air filters are made from a thick paper, which reduces the amount and velocity of air entering the system. It also causes the air to heat up, reducing the amount of oxygen molecules, and consequently the amount of horsepower the engine can make. A K&N E-0659 replacement air filter, on the other hand, is made from low restriction cotton gauze, and it can flow up to 50% more air, while simultaneously removing up to 98% of airborne contaminants.
In order to do this, the K&N E-0659 replacement air filter is treated with a proprietary oil that soaks into the cotton fibers, creating a sticky web that traps dirt particles. All of this dirt is contained inside the filter itself, instead of on the surface where it can reduce air flow as the miles rack up. That oil then soaks into the dirt particles, causing them to trap even more dirt as the air flows by. Then every 50,000 miles (depending on driving conditions), you simply remove the filters and clean them using the K&N Air Filter Cleaning Kit. And to ensure that you save money over the long haul, each K&N drop-in replacement air filter is backed by the K&N 10-Year/Million Mile Limited Warranty. For a list of all BMWs that this filter fits, have a look below:
- 2017 BMW X6 4.4L V8 Fuel Injection – Exc. M (2 required)
- 2017 BMW X6 4.0L V8 Fuel Injection – All (2 required)
- 2017 BMW X5 4.4L V8 Fuel Injection – Exc. M (2 required)
- 2017 BMW X5 4.0L V8 Fuel Injection – All (2 required)
- 2016 BMW X6 4.4L V8 Fuel Injection – Exc. M (2 required)
- 2016 BMW X6 4.0L V8 Fuel Injection – All (2 required)
- 2016 BMW X5 4.4L V8 Fuel Injection – Exc. M (2 required)
- 2016 BMW X5 4.0L V8 Fuel Injection – All (2 required)
- 2015 BMW X6 4.4L V8 Fuel Injection – Exc. M (2 required)
- 2015 BMW X6 4.0L V8 Fuel Injection – All (2 required)
- 2015 BMW X5 4.4L V8 Fuel Injection – Exc. M (2 required)
- 2015 BMW X5 4.0L V8 Fuel Injection – All (2 required)
- 2014 BMW X6 4.4L V8 Fuel Injection – F16 (2 required)
- 2014 BMW X6 4.0L V8 Fuel Injection – F16 (2 required)
- 2014 BMW X5 4.4L V8 Fuel Injection – F15 (2 required)
- 2014 BMW X5 4.0L V8 Fuel Injection – F15 (2 required)
- 2013 BMW X5 4.4L V8 Fuel Injection – F15 (2 required)
- 2013 BMW X5 4.0L V8 Fuel Injection – F15 (2 required)
Don’t forget, you can get a juicy 10% off your order by using the discount code OPIEBLOG at checkout. If you need to find the correct K&N product for your vehicle, just use our handy look up guide HERE.
That’s all from us for today, but as ever, we’re only a phone call away if you need anything on 01209 202 944. Alternatively, just drop us an email to email@example.com and we’d be happy to look into any enquiry you may have.