At Opies, we stock a wide range of maintenance aerosols, lubricants and general problem solvers. However, there are few brands that come with such a rich history, or are so easily recognisable as WD-40. Established over 60 years ago, their signature blue and yellow can looks at home in garages and workshops all over the world.
Below are links to our current range of WD-40 products, whatever the job that needs to be done, WD-40 will have the specialist product for it. Don’t forget to use your blog discount code “OPIEBLOG” for an additional 10% off your order!
- WD-40 with smart straw
- WD-40 Specialist dry PTFE
- WD-40 Trade size, all round use
- WD-40 5 litre tub with applicator
- WD-40 Specialist Degreaser
As you can imagine, being around for over 60 years and seeing use all over the globe, has led to some myths and legends regarding WD-40, and some great stories. Here are some facts and stories that perhaps you hadn’t heard about to pass the time:
- A bus driver in Asia used WD-40 to remove a python that had coiled itself around the undercarriage of his bus!
- MYTH: The famous WD-40 secret formula isn’t such a secret – FACT: The 60 year old formulation is in fact still a closely guarded secret, any information that you may encounter regarding it’s “secret sauce” is false.
- You can use WD-40 Multi-use to remove crayon marks from a variety of surfaces. This doesn’t mean that the kids won’t still try to draw on the walls!
- MYTH: WD-40 contains fish oil – FACT: This myth came about due to consumers claiming that they had caught some of the biggest fish after using WD-40 to protect their fish hooks and lures. Of course, this led them to believe that it contained fish oil, unfortunately WD-40 themselves have confirmed that this just isn’t so!
- The “W-D” in WD-40 stands for “water displacement” but this is much more than just that – The products formulation contains anti-corrosive additives, ingredients for penetration and soil displacement.
- MYTH: Ken East is WD-40s original founder – FACT: Ken was actually the facility manager at San Diegos headquarters and was referred to as “The Brewmaster” as he was responsible for mixing up batches of the secret sauce for over 15 years. Norm Larsen, the founder of the Rocket Chemical company is considered the original founder of WD-40 as we know it today.
- MYTH: WD-40 cures Arthritis! – FACT: This popular headline appears at least once a year in tabloids, and is completely FALSE, WD-40 do not recommend use of it for any medical purposes and there are no ingredients that would aid in the curing of Arthritis.
- Police used WD-40 to remove a naked burglar that had become trapped in an air vent!
- Leslie Nielsen portrayed agent Dick Steele (a.k.a., Agent WD-40) in the 1996 movie Spy Hard.
- As The Duct Tape Guys say, “You only need two tools in life, Duct Tape and WD-40. If it’s not stuck and it’s supposed to be, Duct Tape it. If it’s stuck and it’s not supposed to be, WD-40 it.”
If you need any advice on the correct WD-40 for your specific job, then please feel free to get in touch – we’re in the office Monday to Friday 8:30 – 5:30 and can be reached on 01209 202 944 and email@example.com.
Until next time!